Yesterday I had a free afternoon so whipped one up and it was as fantastic as the first time I made it, yum,yum,yum. I iced it with Betty Crocker pre-made vanilla frosting for something different but the recipe suggests peppermint chocolate icing- also delicious!
For the cake
- 115 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar *
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa
For the chocolate butter icing
- 115 g butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp peppermint essence
Getting readySoften the butter and take the egg out of the fridge. Grease a 7 in/18 cm square tin with butter, and line the base with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
Mixing and baking
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in the egg.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
- Fold in the dry ingredients in about three lots, alternating with the soda and milk. It will be quite a soft batter. Cook for about an hour.
- The cake will shrink slightly away from the sides of the tin and when you press the centre gently with your finger, it will spring back.
- Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack. If the cake has a slightly peaked top, level it with a long serrated knife when it is cool and turn it over before you ice it.
- Soften the butter, and cream it with the sifted icing sugar and cocoa, then add enough milk to make a soft, spreadable consistency. Add the peppermint essence if you wish.
- Cut the cake into two layers with a long serrated knife. Spread the lower layer with a thin layer of the peppermint icing. If you prefer plain chocolate icing, you could add a layer of raspberry or other red jam.
- Replace the top layer, spread with the remaining icing and leave plain or decorate as you wish.
So if your looking for something to bake that's easy and amazing, have a go at this cake!
On an unrelated note I've started our wedding planning and phew! its hard work I tell ya, I can't decide on anything! I have however decided I love daisys and the 1950's feel because I just love those things anyway. Here are some of my favourite inspirations.
I love this couple because they remind me of us:) Especially the tall guy with the shaggy hair and chuck taylors ah my James...